There are several modern Absinthe classics for sale. These Absinthes are premium Absinthes that happen to be modeled on the vintage Absinthes, the Green Fairy, from the 18th and 19th centuries. Modern distillers use recipes from history or they may have analyzed vintage Absinthes to ensure that they utilize the right herbs and quantities.
Real Absinthe is made up of Artemisia Absinthium, common wormwood, containing the substance thujone, along with other herbs and essential oils which result in the drink to louche when water is added in.
Here are a few modern Absinthe classics:-
- Saint George Spirits make an Absinthe which is created from brandy and herbs which includes wormwood, star anise, fennel, lemon balm, tarragon, mint, hyssop, basil, meadowsweet and nettles. Their Absinthe is called "St George Spirits Absinthe Verte" - a green Absinthe which happens to be legal in the USA.
- The Jade Absinthe Collection from the Combier distillery in Saumur, France - Ted Breaux from New Orleans, USA, has progressed this collection of vintage style Absinthes by testing and analyzing bottles of actual vintage Absinthe. The combier distillery uses nineteenth century alambics rescued from the Pernod Fils distillery to make absinthepostershop these Absinthes. The Jade collection includes a classic Pernod Fils style Absinthe, a green Swiss style Absinthe, a clear La Bleue style Absinthe, a New Orleans style Absinthe and an Edouard Pernod influenced Absinthe. These Absinthes are all handcrafted and have won many awards.
- Doubs Mystique "Carte d'Or Absinthe" - This fine Absinthe is distilled in Pontarlier, France using 19th century alambics. Pontarlier is the French home of Absinthe, where Pernod Fils first produced it in the turn of the nineteenth century. This is an Absinthe which uses conventional methods and ingredients however with a sophisticated twist to accommodate the palates of today's generation of Absinthe drinkers.
- Absinthe Roquette 1797 - Named after the horse of the celebrated developer of Absinthe, Dr Pierre Ordinaire, this Absinthe is founded on an original recipe of the eighteenth century. It is an endeavor to replicate the actual true Absinthe and contains the major ingredients of grande wormwood, anise and fennel, and is distilled in nineteenth century alambics in Pontarlier.
- Absinthe Duplais - This was the first verte (green) Absinthe to be legalized in Switzerland and is founded on the nineteenth century Swiss protocols from a manual by P.Duplais. This Absinthe is distilled in Switzerland, home of Absinthe, at the Kallnacher distillery.
- Absinthe Brevans - Also from the Kallnacher distillery, this Absinthe is named after another French Absinthe manual writer. It is founded on a recipe from 1897 and its base is a combination of wine and marc. Marc is the alcohol from fermented pulp which is left after squeezing out the grape juice. Absinthe Brevans includes the plants and herbs utilized in historical Absinthe production.
- La Ptite Absinthe - This is a traditional Swiss La Bleue from Guadentia Persoz, a distiller in Couvet, Switzerland - home of the celebrated Dr Pierre Ordinaire. This clear Absinthe is founded on a recipe from 1898 which includes 12 herbs. Gaudentia found this recipe together with an alambic when she moved into her house in Couvet - what a find!
Absinthe Clandestine - This can be a La Bleue clear Absinthe distilled in Couvet by Claude-Alain Bugnon who made bootleg Absinthe prior to legalization in Switzerland. This Absinthe is dependant on traditional La Bleue recipes and is made utilizing the typical herbs of wormwood and anise in addition to alpine plants and herbs.
Methods to make Absinthe Classics
You possibly can make your own traditional style Absinthe using Absinthe essences which are utilised by distillers in the Absinthe industry. These Absinthe essences can be found from AbsintheKit.com. These are the essences widely available to purchase online:-
- Absinthe Classics - A 280ml bottle of this essence would make 14 bottles of classic green Absinthe containing the all important wormwood.
- Absinthe White - This makes 14 bottles of clear La Bleue style Absinthe.
- Absinthe Orange - This will make 14 bottles of an Absinthe that has a delicate orange flavor from real orange oil.
- Absinthe 55 - This essence makes a stronger Absinthe made up of 55mg of thujone and so a more bitter taste.
All the essences are manufactured using traditional ingredients and are distilled using carbon dioxide distillation to offer a top-quality essence. The essences may also be available in an Absinthe kit which contains a measure and bottle labels.These essences allow you to make Absinthe classics economically and with a genuine vintage taste.